Sunday, February 17, 2008

WHY I DECIDED TO START “CASTING OFF THE COLD.”

I would like to share a story with you, about why I started Casting Off The Cold!!

When I was a little girl, I remember my Mom feeding the homeless on our property in Trinidad. I could not understand why she would do that, until she explained that these people did not have anything to eat or wear! Once a month, my Mom would tell one homeless person what day she would be cooking for them, and they would all be on our property very early on that day, and everyone in the family would help to feed them, and send them off with a beggar’s bag.

I came from a family of 12. Imagine, ten girls and two boys all scurrying around serving, and I always felt good after I did that. Anyway, when I came to Canada, I had no idea that I would see the same thing here.
Working in downtown TO, I was amazed to see so many homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks, and could not imagine this in a warm country, much less a COLD one. I did not have a lot of time to do anything then because of my job, working very long hours. I thought, so many times, that one day I would do something to help out with those in need. Hard to believe, but here I am 40 years later, when I said to myself that it was time to do something for the needy.

You never know when something like this might happen to you!!
So there’s my story - we all have one. What’s yours?

No comments: